Shannon’s Version of the Weekend Roundup

That’s right. I’m back to write this weekend’s roundup. Yeah, I know the Priceman is much more humorous and fun and witty but the man is busy setting up our new desktop computer. Thank you Uncle Sam. Wait, why am I thanking him? It’s my money, my overpaid taxes come back to me.

So here’s a lame but up-to-date weekend round up…

Took Maya to her school’s auction preview, where she played with friends, jumped on the bounce house many many times, ate a giant purple pixie stick and sang with her class.

After the quick visit at Maya’s school, I picked up Steven and we headed to our friends, the Crows, who were going to watch the kids for the evening. The kids ate dinner at the Crows and were able to attend a birthday party too. While the kiddies played, I surprised Price for our date night. I had made reservations at Em Chamas Brazilian Grill. This is a locally owned brazilian grill that Price has wanted to try for over a year and a half. He was quite surprised (again thanks Uncle Sam for helping make this night so special) and I was glad to make up for his lame birthday in which I was very ill with the flu.

After getting the kids and putting them to bed, we watched Battlestar Galatica. Good show! Only a few hours left, booooo.

We woke up to a nice snow, only nice if you don’t have to go out in it. We had breakfast together and then started on our chores. I paid the bills and made a meal for a family in our church who suffered a loss this week. I then took the meal to the family and ran to the bank. In the meantime, Price shoveled the driveway while the kiddies played in the snow.

After the errands, I grabbed Price and the kids and we went to pick up new glasses for Steven and I. Wow, I forgot how much a new prescription hurts your eyes. Back at home it was resting time until I had to head to work. I drove off to work and Price and the kids went off to Party America to look for supplies for a project at Price’s work. We all met back home to eat dinner with Uncle Tom. After dinner, Tom and Price ran to WallyWorld to get our computer and then we all decided we were too tired to watch TV, so we went to bed. We are old and boring!

For me…besides church, I made the trip to Wal-Mart, Aldi’s, Sam’s and HyVee. So today was pretty much a housework and errand day, until this evening when we put a log in the fire and relaxed with homemade pizza and some episodes of Little People, Big World.

Well there ya have it. Lame Lame Lame Weekend Roundup. Don’t worry Price will be back next weekend to make our lives sound a LOT more interesting.

Thanksgiving Weekend Roundup

I, Shannon, will be taking over the weekend roundup this weekend to share with you my top ten things I’m thankful for from our long weekend. The kiddos have been out of school since Wednesday so we’ve had a five-day weekend. Without further ado, here’s my top ten list! I’m thankful…

10) …that we got to enjoy the company of 9 guests who joined us for a Thanksgiving feast on Thanksgiving Day. We enjoyed eating, laughing and hanging out with “Uncle” Tom; Doug and Lynda; Laurie and the Carlson Clan: Gordon, AmyLou, Lennon, McCartney and Sadie Lou Starr (can you guess where those kids’ names came from?)

9) …for getting to take some naps, I mean who doesn’t love afternoon naps? My kids, that’s who.

8) … that we got our Christmas decorations put up three weekends ago which was way early but was still better than having to put them up today!

7) … that I survived giving the message three times at church. Whew, I’m whipped and I’m really thankful I don’t have to do that every stinkin’ weekend. I really admire Rick for his stamina.

6) … that my friend Joy joined me for some Black Friday shopping at Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us (where we couldn’t bear to wait in that nasty long line). It was a great time and I was thankful to have a friend to keep me from going insane when I see all the great deals that I really don’t need!

5) …for Joy’s husband, Jimmy and their kiddos Jake, Sophie, Samie, and Zoe who joined up with my family for breakfast after our Black Friday shopping. I’m especially thankful for Jake’s prayer before breakfast which had us all cracking up. Jake prayed that “he loved Steven (my son); his mom and sister and that he loved when the stars come out at night.” I really, really love little kid prayers (Jake is just 5).

4) … for a very memorable and sweet evening with my family on Friday. We got dolled up and went to see Santa at Crown Center (a Horn family tradition) and watch the lighting of the Mayor’s Christmas Tree at Crown Center (something we’ve never done before). It was magical…don’t believe me-watch this awesome video the Priceman put together capturing the evening. We finished up the evening with a nice dinner in the Power and Light district. It was a magical evening.

3)…for my kiddos. Each unique and wonderful in their own way. I’m so grateful for them and time to share with them. I’m thankful they are healthy and strong and growing. I love watching them grow up!

2) …for my sweet and amazing husband. Priceman is truly a gift to me. He is always so loving and patient. He’s a great daddy, a supportive husband, a great friend and an all around loveable and godly man. I’m so very grateful that my life has been blessed with him in it for the past 15 years.

1)…for God who loves me and who has showered me with more blessings than I deserve. A great church, wonderful friends, a warm house, good food, a great chef;), a cute pug, a job I love, our parents, our families, the joy of living in the US, Steven, Maya and Price and so much more.

For all this and more, my heart is warmed at the end of this Thanksgiving weekend!

The Weekend Roundup Where Price is LOST!

Tonight I looked around and couldn’t find the Priceman. Just some dude who vaguely looked like him.

Hairless Priceman with glasses

 Hairless Priceman with no glasses 

Waaaaaah, why why why why did you have to go and shave your face. I already miss the goat.

 Well I guess I better get used to it, eh?

So I told the Priceman I would take this weekend’s weekend roundup but that was before he shaved his face so maybe as punishment I should make him write it. Okay seriously I just think he is much funnier than I am.

Here’s our weekend round up in Reverse.

Sunday evening…the kids went to bed way too late because we were out at Target and Kohls looking for new shoes and PJs since both kiddos had hit a growth spurt and had outgrown their stuff. So now they are tucked in bed with their new PJs and in the morning they will wear their new shoes to school. Before heading to the store, which wasn’t as bad as it could have been, we had binner. This is the kids’ favorite dinner meal, when we eat breakfast at dinner time. Daddy whipped up tasty eggs, bacon and toast. Yum!

Before dinner, Priceman ran to the grocery store and that evil store that starts with a W that sucks all my money out of my bank accounts! Maya and I stayed home and chilled while Steven was playing at his friend David’s house. I worked until 3:30 while Price and the kids left church around 11 to head home for lunch, laundry and laying around (naps that is).  Steven had spent the night with his friend Lucas and Lucas’ mom dropped Steven off at church. I woke up way too early after having gone to bed way too late.

Saturday…Price, Tom and I stayed up and watched the Bucket List getting to bed around Midnight. The movie was very good though. So good that even Tom stayed awake for the whole show which is pretty much a miracle! While Priceman cleaned up Maya, I shared with Tom the new looks we were considering for our family…

Steven circa 1990

Price circa 1988 

Shannon circa 1996 

Maya circa 1994 

 Tom circa 1974

Before watching our movie Maya enjoyed having the full attention of the house. She ran around, danced and played while her brother Steven was at his friend Lucas (remember). I got home around 8ish and we ate dinner. A tasty feast that Price had made called Crockpot Chicken…crazy name-tasty dish. While I was gone to work, Price and Maya had to make a trip over to Lucas’ house to drop off Steven’s DS charger which he had forgotten. Steven and I had left for church around 3:30ish making a trip to Kinkos on the way for some color copies. He hung out with me at the church until Lucas and his mom got there. Before leaving for work we had enjoyed a late lunch of PBJ after having gone swimming at the community center…good times good times. And before that, we had spent the morning cleaning the house and bathing the smelly doggie.

 Friday…”We”, mainly Price while Tom and I napped, watched the pilot of a new show called Fringe from JJ Abrams. Ask Price how it was since I slept through most of it. Before watching TV, the kiddos had gotten cleaned up and ready for bed after spending the evening out at a family event hosted by the children’s and student ministries of our church. It was a lot of fun despite the rain out. Over 100 people drove through the tornado sirens to come out and enjoy games, food and fun. It was a great time. Here are some pics:

Maya ready to tug and win the war!

 WAKE UP STEVEN or we’re gonna lose!

Always full of excitement…the boys

Who doesn’t love a game of chubby bunny?

Before leaving for the family event, we debated whether or not to leave and drive considering the sirens were blaring for a tornado warning. We took a chance and it turned out just fine!

And thus concludes my lame weekend roundup in reverse but at least I gave you some photos, eh?

Forget about it…I’m going to bed!

Vacation Roundup 2008

While Mr. Horn will WOW you with his photo and video footage of our vacation, I’ll give you the not-so-condensed version of our vacation. So grab your favorite beverage, a cozy chair and prepare for a lot of info about our last week at Table Rock Lake.

Read the rest of this entry »

You Don’t Need No Stinking Weekend Round Up!

Who do you think I am? Price.

Huh, huh. Well do ya?

Like I got time to update you people on our weekend. I’m busy. I’ve got kids to chase and chick flicks to watch and cookie dough to consume.

 Okay, I know I’m not as good with the funny as Mr. Horn.

 Priceman has left on a jet plane. He is in the great city of Philadelphia. He is trying to re-enact the scavenger hunt from the legendary movie National Treasure. Okay not really. He is out there attending a technical writing conference (STC). He is also presenting at the conference. Sounds like he and his co-workers are having fun eating philly cheesesteak sandwiches and learning good stuff.

 As for the weekend, it began with Price and I both taking the day off work. Both of the kids were out of school so we skipped out too! Price whipped up a feast for breakfasts complete with eggs, bacon and yummy pancakes. Price got to work out and I ran some exciting errands to the bank and the Missouri Department of Revenue to get our plates renewed where I waited for 45 minutes to do so. Why did I wait until the end of the month? Why? Well at least I got to enjoy a nice Vanilla Latte while I waited.

After the errands, we surprised the kids with a trip to the pool. They had a great time in the ICE COLD water! Price and I took a lot longer to gain the courage to jump in. I was the last and finally I decided to just head down the water slide and get it over with. Of course I come up out of the water only to see my family departing the cold water. We spent a few hours there and then headed home. Priceman cut the grass which was growing like a jungle thanks to all the rain. I packed our suitcases and got ready.

You see Price and I were heading to a Generous Giving retreat. We had been invited by a couple we love and respect from North Heartland. They paid for us to attend. We weren’t sure what to expect. We got there and were amazed at our wonderful room and the terrificly tasty dinner. After dinner, the first session began. It was a transformational moment. This retreat wasn’t about “give more money” or “will you make a pledge.” It was simply about asking you to take a look at your heart when it comes to your “stuff” and money. I can’t explain it all here but for me the retreat challenged me on many levels. Saturday morning, we got up and enjoyed breakfast and then another session (with a break which included hot yummy cinnamon rolls). Then around 12:30 we headed home.

The kids were entertained by our friends, Austin & Alison. The kids had a great time with them where they cooked and baked and enjoyed running around and entertaining someone besides us.

 After we got back home, we took another trip to our swimming pool. We had great fun. Then it was off to work for me. We were making quite a few changes this week for services so I needed to get there and get everything ready. After work, I came home and we enjoyed yummy leftovers.  Then it was time to get daddy ready for his trip.

Maya has decided that sleeping is overrated. She has developed a bad sleeping pattern of not going to sleep until 10:30 pm(this particular night it was 11:15)  and then waking up in the night with bad dreams and wanting someone to sleep with her. So Priceman and I have been very sleepy as of late. Send any suggestions our way to help the wee princess enjoy the beauty of a good night’s sleep!

Price and I finally had the chance to watch the next to the last Battlestar Galatica for the season. Why must this show taunt me? Why can’t they just tell me who the final cylon is? Come on!

Sunday morning came to early and it was time to head to church. Right after the service we took Priceman to the airport:(

Then it was back to church to grab my stuff and head home for a little pizza party with some gals from NHCC who I share a small group with. Around 3 ish they all left and Maya and I laid down for our nap. After nap, I decided to do something I normally would NOT do. I willingly offered and surprised the kids with a trip to McDonalds. After eating their happy meals, I let them jump around in the playland for at least 45 minutes. They were the only kids in there so it was much more reasonable (usually the loud screaming and smell of dirty socks makes me crazy).

Then we grabbed some treats and headed home for a “movie” night (where we watch cartoons for 30 minutes) and a “camp out” in the living room. I finally got them to fall asleep at 10:15 pm (maybe the ice cream and soda were too much, eh?).

Well that was our weekend and now we are enjoying week 1 of Summer. Today after work and their summer fun programs, we headed to the pool once again. Now we are preparing for yet another “movie”night. So on that note, good night to all and to all a good night.

Daddy if you are reading this, have fun and come home soon. We miss you!

Weekend Round up Girlie Style

So Priceman told you all about the boys awesome weekend but what about us girls? Did you ever think about us? Huh, Price didya? Would it have killed you to write my weekend round up as well? Come on, you are much funnier than I am.

 Here’s my lame attempt at a weekend round up. After work Friday, I came home to secretly pack the suitcase for Steven and Price. Steven had no idea until 5:45 pm (just minutes before leaving) that he was going to Springfield. Who doesn’t love a surprise road trip, eh?

 So the boys left and Maya and I awaited the arrival of our guest, the ever talented Laurie the Treasure Sale Queen. Laurie is a friend and also a volunteer on my Event Planning Team. She graciously, and somewhat naively, agreed to be the leader of our church’s annual Treasure Sale. She knew I would be out from surgery in the pre-work stage. So she has been coordinating all the efforts with our team and the many many donations coming in. Anyway, she was coming over so I could treat her to dinner out at a place of her choosing. We went to Smokehouse BBQ. YUMMY! We ate corn nuggets, burnt ends and delicious beans. Sweet! We were stuffed when we left.

We headed back to Casa de Horn to continue our meeting looking over the details of the Treasure Sale (which is this week). Maya came home to chill and watch some Noggin while we met. Around 10:30 pm, Laurie left and Maya and I got ready for bed. Once she was asleep, I spent a good 45 minutes trying to convince my grossly overweight pug, Elly, to jump up on the bed. She wouldn’t do it. Very frustrating! Finally I got her up there. After all that, I was still kind of wired from the little tantrum and from all the Iced Tea at the restaurant and decided to watch The Producers (the old one with Gene Wilder). I fell asleep half way through the movie.

 In the morning, Maya and I enjoyed a breakfast of cinnamon rolls. So tasty. Shortly thereafter, our friend Hey Jules stopped by. I had asked her to come over and take some shots of my princesses with her awesome amazing camera (notice how last night Elly was a grossly overweight pug and today she is my princess;). She did and here is some of work.

Elly Licks

Elly side view

 See some great ones of Maya over at Jules place. Are those not amazing? Jules is the awesome.

 So after Jules left, I continued on a project I had started earlier which was to declutter and clean out Steven’s room (for donations to the Treasure Sale). Then us girls ate lunch and napped briefly. It was then time for me to get ready for work and get the babysitter. Our good friend, Miss Emma, came to hang with Maya. While I was at work, they made homemade pizza and had a PJ party. I got home, ate the left over pizza and Maya and I settled down for a girls movie night. We got into mommy’s bed and started to watch Jane Eyre. Never having seen the movie or read the book (I know I know FOR SHAME!), I thought it would be along the lines of Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice so it would be ok for Maya to watch with me. She likes the dancing and horses and such. Yikes, that movie was a little darker than I expected. Fine for me, but a bit much for the wee princess. So it was back to tickling and pretty to hide under the covers where I can’t see her.

 Finally our boys arrived home and there was much rejoicing and we all crashed around 11 pm (11:30 for us parent types). Sunday, it was back to work for me. I was hosting our services and then the work began. Setting up and sorting hundreds of boxes and bags of donations of clothing, toys, books, knick knacks and more. Wow, that stuff really piles up! But it’s all for a good cause, 100% of the profits go to agencies that serve those in need.

 I got home around 5:45 pm and we ate dinner. After the kids went to nighty night, Daddy and I watched a little Battlestar Galactica (Man why did you get me hooked on this show?). Then as Priceman finished up his version of the weekend roundup, I watched the latest in the battle for Top Chef Chicago. Poor Jen:( My bets are on Richard, Dale and Stephanie as the final 3. We shall see. Top Chef please come to KC and fix me something tasty!

 Well after a weekend of craziness, Daddy and I are super tired. So off to night night for the entire Horn Clan.

Good night John Boy.

The Long Awaited Conclusion

For ye few but faithful readers, I apologize profusely for keeping you waiting on the conclusion to Maya’s Birth Story.

Now just two weeks later, here is the exciting conclusion.

So for those of you who don’t know the story. Here’s a recap of the reason there is a big age difference between our kiddos. When the boy was about 2 1/2 years old, all the other females in our family were pregnant and I was ready to have another. It was at this point that Price made his opinion known that he was thinking we should just stick with one kiddo. Well it would be nice to say that I was okay and understanding about his opinion but NO WAY. I was mad and angry and let him know it and thus begun a three-year struggle in our marriage. Some days were better than others and some were downright nightmares.

We agreed that it would require God’s intervention to get us beyond this point. In November of 2002, Steven’s best friend from preschool died unexpectedly just a few days after being diagnosed with leukemia. It was at this point, I was hugely convicted that I had been taking for granted that I had one beautiful and healthy child and that I was missing out on time with him because I was always looking for ways to convince Price to have another one. And so I was content. One was enough and I was very happy to have him. I thought God had answered my prayers. He had taken away the ache to have another child and so we were on the same page…one child it was.

Until a few months later just a few days before leaving on a business trip to Seattle, Price informed me that he felt like God was saying the time had come for us to expand our family. I was totally taken back and after a short period of disbelief was excited that God had totally surprised me! We were on the same page but this time our family would expand.

So in early April, we found out that we were expecting. In May, we heard the baby’s heartbeat along with Steven who was so thrilled. He had been praying for a sibling and he was excited that God had answered his prayer. He immediately called both Nanas and Papas to inform them of the great news.

The pregnancy was great. Truth be told, I love being pregnant. It’s a very cool experience for me. My nausea isn’t too bad (unlike some of my friends). It’s neat to feel the baby moving. And of course, everyone enourages you to eat a lot…after all you are eating for two;)

Anyway, towards the end of the pregnancy I was ready to have Miss Maya out and with us. The doctor decided to induce me and so bright and early on December 11th I was admitted to the hospital and the induction began. The pain got a little intense and then came my hero, the epi man. With the epidural in place, I was ready to bring little bit in to the world. Though maybe she wasn’t quite ready??

Maya is born

The labor was pretty easy, considering the difficulties I had with Steven. After just 7 hours, Maya was born (Steven took 19 1/2 hours).

And we were very happy to have both sets of grandparents visit within the first few days of Miss Maya’s arrival. My folks were here to help with Steven while I was in the hospital and then Price’s folks showed up (totally surprising us) on the day we brought her home. We were shocked to see them as it was snowing pretty heavily that day in KC and the Horns had braved the near 8 hour drive up to see Maya and most of the way in the snow.

Steven & Maya

Big Brother Steven with Princess Maya. He was so proud to be a big brother!

The Horns with Miss Maya

Papa & Nana Horn with their KC grandkids.

The Telfords with Miss Maya

Papa & Nana Telford with their KC grandkids.

And thus is the story of Princess Maya and her exciting trek into our lives. We are very blessed and honored to have the gift of two great kids each with their own unique personalities and talents. They make our lives very rich and very very exciting!

And now for my Christmas nap!

4 Years Ago…

Well it was this time 4 years ago, that I had finished up a dinner at Cracker Barrel. My “last supper” if you will. The last morsel of food and drink before having labor induced to deliver one beautiful baby girl.

 Price, Steven, “Uncle” Tom and I had gone out for a bite to prepare for the joyous arrival of little bit. I ate pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beans, rolls and a Stewart’s Root Beer. YUM!

It was our last night at home alone with our little boy Steven, who would seem to age years by the time I returned home from the hospital. We would snuggle up and enjoy our night together. Price and I enjoyed our last full night of sleep for years to come.

Mommy & Elly

Steven & Elly

Oh yeah, and how could we forget our baby, Elly. We snuggled with her too. Reassuring her that she would not be replaced, well probably not anyway. Oh come on, like I could give up my baby Elly.

Stay tuned tomorrow for more on this story…

Fine you big baby I’ll write a post!

Yeah yeah I know. You all have been sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to hear from me.

So move over Priceman, Momma’s here to share the juicy gossip you’ve all been dying to hear!

Okay so I’m not really going to dish except about my own life!

I can’t believe it’s been three weeks since I went to Dallas.  Overall I had a great time hanging out with my family except when my mommy got really sick and had to go to the ER:(   Other than that, we hung out at Uncle Mike’s hotel where we stayed. Awesome hotel. Simply beautiful with shopping right outside the front door and a great restaurant in the lobby which included an outdoor deck that was so awesome! We ate a lot, swam, shopped and much more. Here’s some more pics…

Read the rest of this entry »

Happy Birthday to ME!

That’s right…Happy Birthday to ME. I am officially more than half way to 40 but I’m still not as close as Price;)  Kind of scary because I remember thinking that 40 was soo old and now well it seems so young!

This morning Price greeted me with a Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce latte from Starbucks, YUM. Then he made me a tasty breakfast burrito. I call  him St. Price. For lunch some friends took me to one of my local faves, Tomfooleries. YUM!

Then tonight the Pman made me tasty roast with potatoes and carrots and I broke the sugar fast for a piece of birthday cake. Extra YUM!

So I now weigh 10 pounds more than I did this morning.

It’s been a good day and I have  the promise of more birthday fun when I spend this coming weekend with my mom and some of our extended family in Dallas and then Priceman is going to get us tickets for Wicked when it comes to town. Yiippee!

So what have I learned in 36 years?

Not much.

Okay seriously, I am still learning not to take myself so seriously; that most people are fickle and pleasing them will dang near kill you; to be grateful is a major key to contentment; and that God loves me just as I am but always desires me to be so very much more.

So here’s to another year of becoming all that God desires for me to be. And a big thank you to my family and friends who get to be a part of that process. Thanks for loving me.

« Previous Entries